UAE private sector records 11% rise in Emiratisation

iStock [illustration]

The number of Emiratis employed in the UAE private sector increased by 11 per cent in the first quarter of 2023, compared to the same period last year.

That's according to the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation (MoHRE), which said "more than 10,500 Emiratis joined the private sector since the beginning of 2023, bringing the total number of Emirati employees in the sector to over 66,000."

It also showed a 13 per cent increase in the number of private sector firms employing Emiratis during Q1 in 2023, compared to the previous year. This brings the total number of companies hiring UAE nationals to over 16,000, including more than 2,000 companies since the start of 2023.

The ministry revealed that the five sectors that showed growth were construction (14 per cent), commerce and repair services (13 per cent), manufacturing (10 per cent), business (10 per cent) and financial brokerage (4 per cent).

More than 5,000 Emiratis also benefited from career counselling services during the same period, the ministry added.

Under the Nafis programme, private sector firms with at least 50 employees must ensure Emiratis form 2 per cent of their workforce.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

  • Non Stop Hits

    1:00am - 8:00am

    The UAE's #1 Hit Music Station with no interruptions

  • Adam Eddine

    8:00am - 11:00am

    Playing 10 hits in a row every hour, all weekend!

Trending on Virgin Radio