Thailand vows measures to restore tourist confidence after mall shooting

AFP

Thailand will restore confidence in its critical tourism sector, officials said on Wednesday, a day after a shooting spree at a luxury shopping mall in which two foreigners were killed clouded hopes for a recovery in overseas visitors.

Police have arrested a teenager suspected to have entered the Siam Paragon mall in Bangkok's commercial heart on Tuesday and unleashed a volley of gunfire, killing two women, one from China and the other from Myanmar, and wounding five people.

The shooting came as new Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin is trying to bolster tourism, a key driver of Southeast Asia's second largest economy that has been slow to recover from the COVID-19 pandemic.

China is vital to that effort as the biggest source of foreign visitors to Thailand in pre-COVID years.

Srettha's administration last month introduced visa-free entry for Chinese nationals to facilitate travel and help overcome what Thailand had said were unfounded concerns about safety.

Thapanee Kiatphaibool, governor of the Tourism Authority of Thailand, said government agencies would do even more to restore confidence.

"We need to improve security in all areas for Thai and foreign tourists," she told reporters without outlining any specific steps.

Srettha, a property developer who was elected prime minister in August, said in a social media post late on Tuesday that his government would "implement the highest safety measures" for tourists.

Although gun violence and gun ownership are common in Thailand, security checks in public areas, including shopping malls and transport systems, are typically relaxed.

"This will impact tourism confidence and will affect our reputation," said Somsong Sachaphimukh, vice president of the Tourism Council of Thailand industry group.

"In the past, there were complaints about safety from China but this was something unthinkable."

Chinese visitors accounted for 11 million of a record 39.9 million foreign tourists to Thailand in 2019, before the pandemic.

But their return to Thailand, and elsewhere in Southeast Asia, has been sluggish, prompting the government's decision on the visa waiver ahead of the main tourism season.

Thailand recorded 20 million foreign tourist arrivals in the January to October period, who spent 839 billion baht ($22.58 billion). Its target is 29 million visitors this year.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio