Tesla promises 'more affordable' cars after shelving all-new Model 2

File Picture

Tesla said it would introduce "new models" by early 2025 using its current platforms and production lines as it retreated from more ambitious plans to produce an all-new model that had been expected to cost $25,000.

The talk of new offerings on a faster timeline sent Tesla shares soaring in after-hours trading, a much-needed boost, after months of decline during which Tesla has struggled with fierce competition and falling sales. The gains came despite Tesla releasing first-quarter results that missed Wall Street expectations.

Chief Executive Elon Musk declined to provide details of the new vehicles but said they would include more-affordable models that would start production by early 2025. That's just before the target Musk previously set for launching the all-new low-cost model widely known as the Model 2.

Reuters exclusively reported on April 5 that Tesla had scrapped plans for the Model 2, which investors had expected to drive Tesla's growth into a mass-market automaker. Musk initially reacted to that story with a post on his social platform X saying "Reuters is lying," without pointing out any inaccuracies.

On Tuesday, neither Tesla nor Musk directly addressed the Reuters report.

Instead, they discussed unidentified new models that appeared to be different products, without saying how many, what type or providing their target prices.

The new models would be built on Tesla's current manufacturing lines and use "aspects" of its current platform and a next-generation platform, Tesla said. It cautioned that this plan may "result in achieving less cost reduction than previously expected," suggesting that the vehicles may cost consumers more than the Model 2's anticipated $25,000 price.

The automaker said its plan for new models would let it better control capital expenditures during "uncertain times."

Tesla engineering chief Lars Moravy said the company would avoid the risk of investing in a "revolutionary" manufacturing process. Musk has said previously the all-new affordable car would be a test bed for manufacturing innovation.

Moravy said Tesla's work on the next-generation affordable car is "transferable" to the vehicles the automaker now aims to release early next year.

"That engineering work, we're not trying to just throw it away," Moravy said. "We're going to take it and utilize it."

Musk declined to answer an analyst's question about whether the new vehicles would be all-new models, or tweaks to existing vehicles.

"I think we've said all we will on that front," Musk said.

One observer took Tesla's comments on new models as a confirmation that it had halted plans for the Model 2.

"It seems clear that the new vehicle platform has indeed been shelved for now," said Sam Abuelsamid, an analyst at Guidehouse Insights. "The next gen vehicle was supposed to use fundamentally different production processes from current models. With no desire to spend billions on new production facilities or retool existing factories, it seems like we will see Tesla continue to build the current products."

Currently, Tesla's Model 3 and Model Y, with starting prices of around $40,000, are its only volume sellers.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio