Russian gas exports to Europe via Ukraine halted as transit deal expires

file

Russian natural gas exports via pipelines running through Ukraine to Europe were halted in the early hours of New Year's Day as a transit deal expired and warring Moscow and Kyiv have failed to reach an agreement to continue the flows.

The shutdown of Russia's oldest gas route to Europe ends a decade of fraught relations sparked by Russia's seizure of Crimea in 2014. Ukraine stopped buying Russian gas the following year.

"We stopped the transit of Russian gas. This is a historic event. Russia is losing its markets, it will suffer financial losses. Europe has already made the decision to abandon Russian gas," Ukraine's Energy Minister German Galushchenko said in a statement.

The stoppage of gas flows was expected amid the war, which started in February 2022. Ukraine has been adamant it would not extend the deal amid the military conflict.

According to an industry source, Gazprom last year assumed the absence of the gas transit via Ukraine, which accounted for roughly a half of Russia's total pipeline gas exports to Europe.

Russia still exports gas via the TurkStream pipeline on the bed of the Black Sea. TurkStream has two lines - one for the Turkish domestic market and the other supplying central European customers including Hungary and Serbia.

The European Union redoubled its efforts to reduce its dependence on Russian energy after the outbreak of the military conflict in Ukraine in 2022 by seeking alternative sources.

The remaining buyers of Russian gas via Ukraine such as Slovakia and Austria have also arranged alternative supply.

Moldova, once part of the Soviet Union, is among the countries worst affected. It says it will now need to introduce measures to reduce its gas use by a third.

There were no immediate comments from Europe in the early hours of Wednesday.

The five-year gas transit deal between Russia and Ukraine expired early on January 1.

"Due to the repeated and clearly expressed refusal of the Ukrainian side to renew these agreements, Gazprom was deprived of the technical and legal ability to supply gas for transit through the territory of Ukraine from January 1, 2025," Gazprom said in a statement on the Telegram messaging app.

"Starting from 08:00 Moscow time (0500 GMT), the supply of Russian gas for its transportation through the territory of Ukraine is not carried out."

Ukraine's energy ministry also said the transportation of Russian gas through Ukraine "has been stopped in the interests of national security".

Ukraine now faces the loss of some $800 million a year in transit fees from Russia, while Gazprom will lose close to $5 billion in gas sales.

Russia and the former Soviet Union spent half a century building up a major share of the European gas market, which at its peak stood at around 35 per cent, but the war has all but destroyed that business for Gazprom.

The Yamal-Europe pipeline via Belarus has also shut and the Nord Stream route across the Baltic Sea to Germany was blown up in 2022.

Combined, the various routes delivered a record high 201 billion cubic metres (bcm) of gas to Europe in 2018.

Russia shipped about 15 bcm of gas via Ukraine in 2023, down from 65 bcm when the last five-year contract began in 2020.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio