Royal Caribbean, MSC cancel cruises due to Red Sea attacks

AFP

Some cruise operators have cancelled or adjusted their itineraries to avoid the Red Sea due to attacks on ships by Houthis, but the overall impact on the multi-billion dollar industry is not expected to be significant.

The attacks by Houthis in Yemen since November have slowed trade between Asia and Europe and raised concerns about an escalation of the war in Gaza.

Royal Caribbean said in a statement on Thursday it had cancelled two voyages so far. One from Muscat to Dubai was meant to take place January 16-26, and another from Dubai to Mumbai was scheduled for January 26-February 11.

It also amended last week the itinerary of a cruise between Aqaba and Muscat to disembark guests in a port city near Athens.

"Our global security team continues to closely monitor the situation in the region and we will make additional changes if required," Royal Caribbean said.

Swiss-Italian operator MSC Cruises said on Wednesday it had cancelled three trips in April from South Africa and the UAE to Europe due to the Red Sea crisis.

"The safety of passengers and crew is the number one priority and as there was no viable alternative itinerary, the company has regrettably had to cancel the voyages," MSC Cruises said. "The three ships will transfer directly to Europe without any passengers on board and avoid transiting through the Red Sea."

Although thousands of passengers are affected, the impact on cruise operators at a global level is not expected to be significant, said Todd Elliott, CEO of Florida-based travel agency Cruise Vacation Outlet.

"This is a small part of their overall fleet and multi-year itineraries so they will be able to overcome this easily," Elliott said.

Italy's Costa Cruises told Reuters on Thursday that routes "remain unchanged" and only two of its cruises scheduled to transit through the Red Sea in March and April could be affected, including the last leg of a round-the-world trip.

Carnival said its global security team was working with global security experts and governments to prioritise safety, including adjusting its itineraries if needed.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio