OPEC fails to draw deal on production cuts

Officials from Saudi Arabia, Russia and other big oil producers are leaving Vienna this weekend without a deal to cut production, according to media reports. Organisation of Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) and non-OPEC members had hoped to agree output cuts, in a bid to prop up flagging oil prices. Brazil's energy minister said Iraq and Iran were the main sticking points, as both countries want to be exempt from cuts. Non-member Oman said Saturday it was willing to cooperate in a supply deal, it couldn’t commit to a specific output cut until OPEC had its own agreement. OPEC’s surprise agreement in Algiers to make the first supply cuts in eight years will only make a serious dent in a record oil surplus if producers outside the group join in. While the accord helped push oil prices to a 15-month high above $50 a barrel earlier this month, they have subsequently fallen as several members disputed the production estimates that would determine the size of cuts. (Bloomberg)

More from Business News

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio