No fries till autumn at McDonald's Russian successor restaurants

AFP

Excitement was on the menu when former McDonald's restaurants reopened in Russia last month under new management and branding, but the successor to the golden-arched throne has a problem: a shortage of French fries.

McDonald's quit Russia after a Western backlash against Moscow's military campaign in Ukraine, which included a barrage of economic sanctions, and sold all the restaurants it owned to a local licensee in May.

The new ownership, however, now faces problems securing supplies of potatoes, blaming a poor harvest in Russia and difficulty in importing potatoes due to supply chain disruptions.

Under the new name Vkusno & tochka, or "Tasty and that's it", the restaurants started reopening on June 12, and sold almost 120,000 burgers that day.

But after customers last week began posting pictures of menus without French fries, Vkusno & tochka said it would be leaving fries and potato wedges off the menus of some of the newly opened restaurants until autumn.

It said that while it had for years focused on buying ingredients locally, it was now "impossible to import from markets that might have become temporary suppliers of potatoes".

"Potatoes will return to the chain's menu in full at the beginning of the next harvest year, autumn 2022," it said.

The shortage highlights the challenges facing Russian businesses as sanctions over Moscow's actions in Ukraine and supply chain disruptions complicate the import of goods.

Vkusno & tochka's Chief Executive Oleg Paroev told Reuters last month that "a significant percentage" of ingredients were sourced abroad.

Despite Vkusno & tochka's problems, Russia's agriculture ministry said last week that the potato harvest would be bigger than last year's and that the market was "fully supplied with potatoes, including processed potatoes".

"The new crop is now arriving, which rules out the possibility of a shortage," it said.

More from Business News

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio