Lufthansa cabin crew extends strike, disrupting 58,000 travellers

NULL

Deutsche Lufthansa AG cabin crews extended their strike into Saturday, disrupting the plans of an estimated 58,000 passengers flying from Frankfurt and Dusseldorf. Following a nine-hour walkout in both cities on Friday, the flight attendants began a 17-hour work stoppage at the two airports that led to the cancellation of 520 flights, company spokesman Boris Ogursky said by phone. Those on strike are responding to a call by the UFO union that’s disputing retirement changes for crews sought by Lufthansa to save money. With the union announcing its strike plans with little notice, Lufthansa scrambled to inform passengers of cancellations, Ogursky said. The company sent 27,000 short texts or e-mails to fliers, he said. “We’re prepared operatively,” said the Frankfurt-based spokesman. Lufthansa has sought to re-book flights with partner airlines, offer train tickets, waive cancellation fees and arrange hotel accommodation. Talks between Lufthansa and UFO broke down on Nov. 3. The union said on its website that the carrier is on track to have its most successful year ever. Stoppages will continue through Nov. 13, it said, while no strike is planned for Sunday. Munich will be unaffected by walkouts through the weekend because of local travelers returning at the end of school vacations in southern Germany. The strike could become the longest by Lufthansa’s cabin crews. The flight attendants’ previous large-scale walkout was a three-day protest in 2012 that cost the carrier 33 million euros ($35 million) after 1,500 flights were scrapped. That compares with the 352 million euros and 9,700 cancellations tied to a series of pilot strikes since last year. UFO has agreed to a switch of Lufthansa’s pension system to a defined-contribution program from defined benefits. The airline said this week that the union is seeking to maintain payments at previous levels, while Lufthansa wants employees to work additional years to reach that figure. Ogursky said Lufthansa’s only long-haul cancellation on Saturday is a Dusseldorf-Newark, New Jersey, flight. Almost all European flights from Frankfurt, the carrier’s biggest airport hub, will be dropped except a few to Munich and three serving London Heathrow. The strike doesn’t extend to Lufthansa’s CityLine, Germanwings, Eurowings, Air Dolomiti, Austrian Airlines, Swiss or Brussels Airlines divisions, said Ogursky. (By Brian Parkin/Bloomberg)

More from Business News

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio