Lebanon banking group rejects latest draft of financial recovery plan

Shutterstock / Joss K

The Association of Banks in Lebanon said on Saturday that it “completely rejects” the government’s latest draft of a financial recovery plan meant to pull the country out of an economic meltdown.

In a statement shared with Reuters, the ABL called the plan “disastrous” and said it would leave banks and depositors shouldering the “major portion” of losses.

The government estimates that the financial sector's losses amount to $72 billion (AED 264 billion).

“ABL has assigned its legal advisers to examine and present a range of judicial measures that will allow the preservation and recovery of the rights of the banks and the depositors,” the association said.

Lebanon's banks have been major lenders to the government for decades, helping to finance a wasteful and corrupt state that went into a financial meltdown in 2019.

The collapse has resulted in depositors being shut out of their savings and the local currency losing more than 90 per cent of its value. The banking association rejected an earlier draft of the plan in February, saying it would cause a loss of confidence in the financial sector.

The ABL's approval is not required for the government to begin implementing a plan, but experts say support from the banking sector could contribute to solving the crisis.

The current draft lays out a series of financial reforms, including an overhaul of the banking sector and caps on how much depositors would be able to recover from their accounts.

Earlier this month, Lebanon signed a staff-level agreement with the International Monetary Fund for a 46-month extended fund facility, under which Lebanon has requested access to the equivalent of around $3 billion (AED 11 billion).

But access to those funds is contingent on enacting a slew of economic reforms and financial sector restructuring.

More from Business News

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

  • Wall Street futures sink as tariffs fuel recession fears

    US stock index futures tumbled on Thursday after President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs on major trade partners heightened fears of an all-out trade war that could push the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio