Chinese firms stockpile Samsung chips ahead of US ruling

FILE PHOTO

Chinese tech giants including Huawei and Baidu are stockpiling high bandwidth memory (HBM) semiconductors from Samsung Electronics in anticipation of US curbs on exports of the chips to China.

The companies have ramped up their buying of the artificial intelligence (AI) capable semiconductors since early this year, helping China account for about 30 per cent of Samsung's HBM chip revenue in the first half of 2024, one of three sources said.

US authorities are planning to unveil an export control package this month that will impose new restrictions on shipments for China’s semiconductor industry, Reuters reported last week.

Those sources also said the package is expected to lay out parameters for restricting high bandwidth memory chip access. The US Department of Commerce declined to comment but had said in a statement last week that it is continually assessing the evolving threat environment and updating export controls "to protect US national security and safeguard our technological ecosystem."

Reuters was unable to determine the details of the proposed HBM restrictions and how they would impact China.

The moves show how China is gearing up to keep its technology ambitions on track amid rising trade tensions with the US and other western nations. They also show how the tensions are impacting the global semiconductor supply chain.

HBM chips are crucial components in developing advanced processors such as Nvidia's graphics processing units that can be used for generative AI work.

There are only three major chipmakers producing HBM chips - SK Hynix 000660.KS and Samsung from South Korea, and US-based Micron Technology MU.O.

Chinese chip demand has been largely focused on the HBM2E model, which is two generations behind the most advanced version HBM3E, said the sources who are familiar with China's interest in HBM. The global AI boom has led to a tightness in supply of the advanced model.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio