China, South Korea agree to strengthen talks on chip industry

Shutterstock

China and South Korea have agreed to strengthen dialogue and cooperation on semiconductor industry supply chains amid broader global concerns over chip supplies, sanctions and national security.

This is according to a statement by China's commerce minister.

Wang Wentao met with South Korean Trade Minister Ahn Duk-Geun on the sidelines of the Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) conference in Detroit, which ended on Friday.

They exchanged views on maintaining the stability of the industrial supply chain and strengthening cooperation in bilateral, regional and multilateral fields, according to a statement from the Chinese Ministry of Commerce on Saturday.

Wang also said China is willing to work with South Korea to deepen trade ties and investment cooperation.

However, a South Korean statement at the same meeting did not mention chips, instead saying the country's trade minister had asked China to stabilise the supply of key raw materials and asked for a predictable business environment for South Korean companies in China.

"The South Korean side expressed that communication is needed between working-level officials over all industries", not just for semiconductors, a source with knowledge of the matter told Reuters. The source declined to be identified because they were not authorised to speak to the media. South Korea is in the crosshairs of a tit-for-tat row between the United States and China over semiconductors.

China's cyberspace regulator said last week that Micron MU.O had failed its network security review and that it would block operators of key infrastructure from buying from the company. The US has pushed for countries to limit China's access to advanced chips, citing a host of reasons, including national security.

About 40 per cent of South Korea's chip exports go to China, according to trade ministry data, while US technology and equipment are necessary for South Korean chipmakers Samsung Electronics and SK Hynix.

More from Business News

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio