Boeing withdraws pay offer to striking workers

FILE PHOTO

Boeing has withdrawn its pay offer to around 33,000 US factory workers and no further negotiations were planned with their union representatives, as a financially damaging strike nears its fourth week.

Boeing and the union held their latest round of negotiations with federal mediators on Monday and Tuesday, but talks collapsed and the sides were left locked in acrimonious stalemate showing no signs of being resolved anytime soon, a person briefed on the talks said.

"Unfortunately, the union did not seriously consider our proposals," Boeing Commercial Airplanes head Stephanie Pope said in a note to the employees, calling the union's demands "non-negotiable".

"Further negotiations do not make sense at this point and our offer has been withdrawn."

She noted Boeing had been taking steps to preserve cash.

Reuters reported earlier on Tuesday that the planemaker is examining options to raise billions of dollars through a sale of stock and equity-like securities while the factories producing its best-selling 737 MAX and its 767 and 777 planes are shut.

The company, which is on the brink of losing its prized investment grade credit rating, has also introduced temporary furloughs for thousands of salaried employees.

The striking union of its West Coast factory workers is seeking a 40 per cent pay rise over four years and the restoration of a defined-benefit pension that was taken away in the contract a decade ago. More than 90 per cent of workers voted down an offer of a 25 per cent pay rise over four years before going on strike.

Boeing made an improved offer last month that it described as its "best and final", which would give workers a 30 per cent raise and restore a performance bonus, but the union said a survey of its members found that was not enough.

Pope, referring to the two days of negotiations this week, said: "Our team bargained in good faith and made new and improved proposals to try to reach a compromise, including increases in take-home pay and retirement."

In contrast, the International Association of Machinists and Aerospace Workers union said in a statement that Boeing was "hell-bent on standing on the non-negotiated offer" proposed last month.

"They refused to propose any wage increases, vacation/sick leave accrual, progression, ratification bonus, or the 401k Match/SCRC Contribution. They also would not reinstate the defined benefit pension," it said.

More from Business News

  • EU seeks unity in first strike back at Trump tariffs

    European Union countries will seek to present a united front in the coming days against U.S. President Donald Trump's tariffs, likely approving a first set of targeted countermeasures on up to $28 billion of U.S. imports from dental floss to diamonds.

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio