Bed, Bath & Beyond files for bankruptcy despite $240 million financing

File picture

Bed Bath & Beyond has filed for Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection in the US, after the home goods retailer failed to secure funds to stay afloat, and has begun a liquidation sale.

The company plans to wind down its business and close all 475 remaining stores, including its Buy Buy Baby brand, by the end of June.

It also stated that it is seeking buyers for some or all of its assets.

Bed Bath & Beyond has been facing financial troubles for years and recently announced job cuts and store closures. The company had previously stated that it would sell $300 million worth of its shares and warned that it might have to file for bankruptcy if the funds were not secured.

The once-popular destination for household goods has struggled to keep up with the rise of online shopping.

In a filing to the United States Bankruptcy Court for the District of New Jersey on Sunday, the retailer stated that "the past twelve months have undoubtedly been the most difficult and turbulent in Bed Bath & Beyond's storied history." It added that despite "painstaking, creative, and exhaustive efforts to right the ship along the way, Bed Bath & Beyond is simply unable to service its funded debt obligations while simultaneously supplying sufficient inventory to its store locations."

Bed Bath & Beyond was founded in 1971 as Bed 'n Bath, and it had hugely expanded the goods it had on offer to include everything from bed linen to electric appliances. At its peak in the 2010s, Bed Bath & Beyond was the largest home furnishing retailer in the US, with more than 970 stores across all 50 states. However, in recent years it has struggled with dwindling profits as more customers chose to shop online.

Bed Bath & Beyond's President and Chief Executive, Sue Gove, said in a statement that "millions of customers have trusted us through the most important milestones in their lives - from going to college to getting married, settling into a new home to having a baby."

The company also stated that it had secured $240 million in financing from the Texas-based Sixth Street Specialty Lending to support its winding down process. Notices on the Bed Bath & Beyond and Buy Buy Baby websites said the stores "remain open to serve you," without offering a timeline for when services will cease.

More from Business News

  • UK's Jaguar Land Rover to halt US shipments over tariffs

    Jaguar Land Rover will pause shipments of its Britain-made cars to the United States for a month, it said on Saturday, as it considers how to mitigate the cost of President Donald Trump's 25% tariff.

  • US starts collecting Trump's new 10% tariff

    U.S. customs agents began collecting President Donald Trump's unilateral 10% tariff on all imports from many countries on Saturday, with higher levies on goods from 57 larger trading partners due to start next week.

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

On Virgin Radio today

  • Non Stop Hits

    Midnight - 8:00am

    The UAE's #1 Hit Music Station with no interruptions

  • Avery

    8:00am - 11:00am

    Keeping things chill to start Sunday

Trending on Virgin Radio