Australia says cyber attacks rise, cites 4,500 hacking attempts in one day

iStock [illustration]

Cyber attacks against Australia have increased in frequency in recent months, as the country released its first cyber security threat report which cited 4,500 hacking attempts in one day.

Australia said in June it would strengthen cyber defences after a "sophisticated state-based actor" spent months trying to hack all levels of the government, political bodies, essential service providers and operators of critical infrastructure.

Australia believes China is responsible for the attacks, sources told Reuters. Beijing denies it is behind the attempts.

Canberra earlier this year issued a rare public cease and desist warning, seen by analysts as aimed at China.

"I can assure you all today that threat has not diminished since then — in fact, it has increased," Defence Minister Linda Reynolds told reporters.

Australia's first ever cyber security threat report on Friday showed authorities responded to 2,266 incidents and received 59,806 cyber crime reports in the 12 months to June 30.

The report noted two notable periods of attack.

In October 2019, malware called Emotet targeted sensitive personal and financial information. At its peak, Australia recorded 4,500 attempts in one day.

The second spike was in April in what Australia's cyber intelligence agency said were criminals taking advantage of COVID-19.

The report does not include Australia's most prominent cyber attack, an online assault on the country's parliament and three largest political parties in February 2019.

Reuters reported that Australia had quietly concluded China was responsible for that cyber-attack.

Australia has never publicly identified the source of that attack, however, and China denied it was responsible.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

  • Scott Forshaw

    10:00pm - 1:00am

    The Virgin Radio Weekend with Scott Forshaw

  • Non Stop Hits

    1:00am - 8:00am

    The UAE's #1 Hit Music Station with no interruptions

Trending on Virgin Radio