Airbnb urges Barcelona to reconsider crackdown on tourism rentals

file

Global holiday home rental company Airbnb has urged Barcelona's mayor to rethink a widening crackdown on short-term rentals, arguing that it only benefits the hotel sector while failing to address overtourism and a housing crisis.

"The only winner from Barcelona's war on short-term rentals is the hotel industry," Airbnb's head of Policy for Spain and Portugal, Sara Rodriguez, wrote in a letter to Mayor Jaume Collboni sent over the weekend and seen by Reuters.

Barcelona city hall did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

In June, Collboni announced a plan to shut all short-term rentals by 2028 to contain soaring rents for residents. The measure is being challenged in courts.

Airbnb argued in its letter that none of Barcelona's earlier measures that had imposed strict limits on new tourist accommodation licences in the city centre since 2014 proved to be effective.

"A decade later, official data shows that while short-term rentals numbers have fallen, challenges related to housing and over-tourism are worse than ever," it said.

It cited official data showing long-term rents have soared more than 70 per cent and the average price of a hotel room has increased by more than 60 per cent, even as the number of short-term rental homes halved to 8,842 last year from 2020 levels.

Meanwhile, it argued, Spain has built fewer houses in the past decade than at any time since 1970 despite a sharp increase in demand, also pointing to official data showing that vacant homes outnumbered short-term rentals eight to one in Barcelona.

"Policies that address this issue (vacant homes) are more likely to boost affordable housing supply than clamping down on Airbnb," the company said, adding that it had removed over 7,000 listings from its platform since 2018 in Barcelona.

While Collboni has said he will keep a ban on building new hotels in the city centre, he wants new hotel capacity elsewhere in Barcelona.

Spain's travel industry association Exceltur, which groups major hotel chains, travel agents, tour operators and airlines, has lobbied for strong regulation on short-term rental platforms since 2022, describing the boom of holiday homes as "out of control" in Spanish cities.

A number of other cities such as Madrid and Malaga have also applied restrictions this year.

More from Business News

  • Nasdaq set to confirm bear market as Trump tariffs trigger recession fears

    The tech-heavy Nasdaq Composite index was set to confirm it was in a bear market on Friday, down more than 20 per cent from a recent record high, as investors fled riskier assets on fears that tariffs imposed by President Donald Trump could spark a trade war and tip the global economy into recession.

  • Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum exceed 500M boe in Khor Mor field

    UAE-based Dana Gas and Crescent Petroleum, alongside their partners in the Pearl Petroleum consortium, have said the cumulative production from their Khor Mor project, the largest non-associated gas field in Iraq, has exceeded 500 million barrels of oil equivalent (boe).

  • China to impose tariffs of 34% on all US goods

    China has announced a slew of additional tariffs and restrictions against US goods as a countermeasure to sweeping tariffs imposed by US President Donald Trump. The Finance Ministry said it would impose additional tariffs of 34 per cent on all US goods from April 10.

  • Shares bruised, dollar crumbles as Trump tariffs stir recession fears

    Stocks limped to the end of the week on Friday, the dollar was set for its worst week in a month while gold flirted with a record peak as investors feared US President Donald Trump's sweeping tariffs would tip the global economy into a recession.

On Virgin Radio today

Trending on Virgin Radio